Birder's Eye View

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Swallow-tailed Kite!

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Woohoo! Saw the first Swallow-tailed Kite of the year today!

Believe it or not, it's a lot harder to sketch a Kite than you'd think... This was the best I could come up with, and even now I'm not totally satisfied with it. But... there it is.

I should be seeing more of them as the season continues. I've been hearing reports of sightings in the area, but now I can finally add one to my year list!

Happy birding.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • Nice sketch. I think of them as having more elongated wings though... and definitely more black. It has to be very striking. You're right though, they're difficult to do. It's nearly impossible to capture their gracefulness.

    By Blogger Chris W, At March 19, 2008 at 4:35 AM  

  • Here's my Swallow-tailed Kite Sketch:
    http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/2007/12/moree-snow-and-sketching.html

    That and the Mango are the only good ones though. I have some much better shrike sketches.

    By Blogger Chris W, At March 19, 2008 at 4:38 AM  

  • Thank you! :-) I know, I made the proportions all wrong. Hmm, I'll have to try and sketch one again sometime.

    Your sketches are really good! I like the Mango.

    Happy birding,
    Andrea

    By Blogger Andrea, At March 19, 2008 at 6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home