Birder's Eye View

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Spring has sprung!

The Vernal Equinox isn't for another three weeks, but in it seems like it's already arrived here. The weather is warm (78 degrees, according to my computer), flowers are growing, and most importantly of course, birds are everywhere!

Driving along the rural roads today with the windows down, the air smelled deliciously of oranges from all the local groves. I love this time of year!


There's also a hawk nest nearby, which the hawks were busily tending to all morning long. Can't quite tell if the eggs have hatched yet.

And finally, as I was driving home today, I got a picture of the American Kestrel! It's a little blurry (I was trying to take it from the car), but clear enough to identify the bird. In the past, I had IDed it purely by its silhouette and mannerisms, but I'm glad to see I was correct in my identification, now that I got a picture.

I also got a blurred shot of the Kestrel in flight! It was trying to fend off some vultures over a horse pasture.

That's all for now... until next time,

Happy birding!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • I know, I love that smell too. I always love it when I take a trip to FL. It's the only state I know that serves Orange juice at the state welcome center.

    I know what you mean by IDing by GISS. I do it all the time. That's how I added E Screech-owl to my year list. I saw one on Fri while coming back from chasing an Ivory gull in SD. A small Owl flew up from the road in front of us and a I had only a 2 sec look. Based on GISS, habitat, time of year, only thing it could have been was ESOW.
    It does come in useful for raptors though.

    Happy Birding! --Chris

    By Blogger Chris W, At March 2, 2008 at 11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home