Birder's Eye View

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Quick Update

My list is now up to 49, with the addition of Killdeer, Brown Pelicans, and a Eurasian Collared Dove!

I've been looking for one (not actively, but whenever I can), and I finally saw several of them today, when I was down about an hour south of here. Apparently, they're not as common inland as they are by the water.

I wouldn't have even taken notice, but its coloration caught my eye -- it was much lighter than a Mourning Dove. On second glance, I realized it had the characteristic collar on the back of its neck. Once I had IDed it, I recognised that all the doves in the area were Eurasian Collared Doves.

Also saw the American Kestrel again -- same one (I have reason to suspect), same place as last time. I guess it's living there, which is cool, because I go by that area often. I'll have to keep my eyes out and see what I can observe. :-)

Until next time,

Happy Birding!

3 Comments:

  • Nice find Andrea! Doesn't it always work that way? once you've IDed something, you start seeing it everywhere? lol I remember the first time I properly IDed a Cape may Warbler, now I see them every migration. Same thing works for shorebirds, once you manage to pick out a species, you can do it every time after that. lol
    Anyway, keep looking, you're ahead of me...still.... but not for long.
    Do you want to see who has the most species in the immediate area? doing it big year style?
    if so, here's my challenge, find the most species possible within an hour from home (that allows us both access to water) in a single year. and do it with the least amount of driving possible. so by the end of the year, we'll know who has more species within an hour from home. are you up to it? let me know. any birds found outside an hour's driving time from home don't count.

    By Blogger Chris W, At January 28, 2008 at 4:54 PM  

  • You're right! Once you ID a bird, you see it more often -- or so it seems, I guess. :-)

    Hmmm... Well, I don't get to go birding very often, but I'll keep track of those I find within an hour of my house. :-) Do we get to count birds we've already seen this year? So far, everything I've seen has been within an hour of here, since I haven't done any traveling.

    Good luck, and happy birding!

    Andrea

    By Blogger Andrea, At January 29, 2008 at 4:15 PM  

  • Certainly you do. I don't want to go looking again for all 40 species I've already seen this year either.
    As of now, I suspect that you'll win. Even if you don't go birding as much, there's still more species in FL than in WI. However, I'll give you a run for your money. I'm counting on finding all 200 some species that can be found within an hour of here. We'll see who comes out though.
    You'll have a little bit of an advantage of time on me since I'll be doing a lot of traveling this summer but I think we'll be pretty close. (I could probably tell you just how close if I knew exactly where you lived... lol)
    Anyway, I've been stuck at 40 for the last 3 weeks so you'll prolly run away from me for a while... until May that is...
    hehe,
    Happy Birding! --Chris

    By Blogger Chris W, At January 29, 2008 at 5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home