Birder's Eye View

Sunday, January 20, 2008

American Kestrel

My year list is now up to 37, with the addition of numerous Wild Turkey sightings, several Boat-tailed Grackles, and.... *queue triumphant music* an American Kestrel! That's a life bird for me.

I wasn't able to see it really well, but I've pretty much concluded that's what it was. It was very exciting. I was just heading home this afternoon, and I saw the bird sitting on an electrical wire. It took to the air, and started hovering!

It's been really cold and windy all day, and this bird was sort of gliding against the wind, almost as if it was suspended in the air. It swooped down and landed on the wire a little ways ahead, so I drove forward slowly until I was close enough to see better.

Of course, it freaked out, and flew out over the fields, landing waaaayyy far away on a fence post. I was kicking myself for not having my binoculars OR my camera with me today! :-(

Well, when I got home, I looked it up right away, and there was no other bird that really fit the description, other than an American Kestrel: A wide tail in flight, small body, sorta pointed wings, almost swift-like in silhouette.

What a fantastic sighting!

Happy birding!

2 Comments:

  • Excellent find Andrea! Kestrels are cool birds.
    They're all too common here in WI though. Here, if you see a bird sitting on a powerline that isn't a mourning dove, it's most likely a Kestrel. I suppose the same is true for FL though. although, you probably have more Eurasian-collared Doves than Mourning Doves.

    Still, I love Kestrels. Especially adult males. They're soooo beautiful.

    Happy Birding! --Chris

    By Blogger Chris W, At January 20, 2008 at 7:23 PM  

  • Kestrels are probably very common here, but this was the first time I've been able to ID one. I'll probably see more of them now that I know what I'm looking at. :-)

    Actually, I've never seen a Eurasian-collared Dove, although I've been looking for one. We have tons of Mourning Doves -- I see at least one or two every day.

    Happy birding!

    Andrea

    By Blogger Andrea, At January 21, 2008 at 8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home