Birder's Eye View

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Thirty Two!

I would not have published my last post, had I known I would see another year bird before the day was over!

While I was quite convinced that I would not see any new birds today, I kept my eyes and ears open as I took a bike ride this evening. It wasn't until I was on my way back home that I took a short detour past one of the ponds.

There was a big white duck floating in the shallow water, and beside it, I caught a glimpse of pink as I rode by.

I took a double-take, and saw the bird raise its head out from under the water. It was too good to be true, but true, it was. A Roseate Spoonbill in my own neighborhood!

Spoonbills are whacky looking birds. They always look to me like they've skipped a step in their evolutionary line. They're really quite genius, though. Even though they look like they were put together wrong, their physiology has evolved to near perfection.

So, by some ornithological miracle, my list has inched its way up to 32.

Happy, happy birding!

3 Comments:

  • We don't see those here in chilly northern Illinois, but WOW on that sighting!

    By Blogger Unknown, At January 8, 2008 at 7:41 PM  

  • Well Andrea, looks like we're tied again.
    Your 32nd is waaaay cooler than mine though. Mine was a N Harrier. I guess I gotta find a N Shrike now. Or maybe a Snowy Owl.....

    Happy Birding! --Chris

    By Blogger Chris W, At January 8, 2008 at 11:12 PM  

  • Hey, a Northern Harrier would be cool for me! I've never seen a N Harrier before. Good luck on finding a N Shrike or a Snowy Owl.

    I'm hoping to see a Loggerhead Shrike this year; I've heard they're in my area, but I've never seen one before.

    Happy birding!

    By Blogger Earthbird, At January 9, 2008 at 11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home