Birder's Eye View

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

BiRRRRds,sketches, and more

My year list is now up to 14. No lifers yet, just the usual local birds.

I did get to see about a dozen Muscovy ducklings today; they're so much cuter than the adults. Also saw some Mallards, Mourning Doves, Great Blue Heron, and a Great Egret, among other species.

The temperature has been in the mid-40s today, which could have something to do with it. I love cold weather, but I wasn't really prepared for it, since it rarely gets this cold here.

And finally, I have two new sketches.

Sandhill Cranes. They're very common here, so I thought it would be fun to try and draw them. Apparently not. The picture didn't come out as good as I had hoped, but it's not too bad.







Black-necked Stilt. Never seen one, really want to. According to my fieldguide, they do live in this state, so I may get to see one this year, if I'm lucky. I have to say though, it was a lot more fun to draw than a Sandhill Crane.

So, 14 birds down, 44 degrees outside... I'd say it's been a good day. I wonder what birds I'll see tomorrow?


Happy Birding!

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

  • Black-necked Stilt eh?
    I highly reccomend a trip to St Mark's NWR south of Tallahassee. Late march or April is the best time. You are 95% certain to see a BN Stilt there at that time of year. Along with the thousands of other Shorebirds. I don't know how far away you are but that's where I'd go. Cape Canaveral is also quite good if you're closer to there.

    Happy Birding! --Chris

    By Blogger Chris W, At January 2, 2008 at 7:17 PM  

  • Thanks for the recomendation! Unfortunately, I live nowhere near there, but if I'm ever up that way, I'll certainly make an effort to check it out. St. Marks NWR sounds like a great place for birding.

    Happy birding!
    -Andrea

    By Blogger Earthbird, At January 3, 2008 at 3:03 PM  

  • It most certainly is. It's my favorite NWR.
    On a good Shorebird day, you can stand and watch shorebirds all day until you're shorebirded out.

    Have you ever been to the Everglades?

    By Blogger Chris W, At January 3, 2008 at 11:30 PM  

  • Wow, that is really cool. I'll have to check out St. Marks some day!

    I haven't been to the Everglades in probably 10 years. Never been birding there. I know it has some amazing birds, though. Have you birded there?

    By Blogger Earthbird, At January 4, 2008 at 9:13 AM  

  • A little bit. Not as much as I'd like though. I still need snail kite and everglades kite. plus a few others. I've been in just about every corner of FL. It's a cool state and one of my favorites.

    If you get a chance, I would also visit Myakka river state park (south of Sarasota). They have a canopy walk there that I highly reccomend taking. That walk put me within 5 feet of N Parula. (Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera then.)

    Paynes Prairie State park is excellent birding too if you haven't been there. It's near the town of Micanopy south of Gainesville. If you need wood stork, Paynes Prairie is the place to go.

    Most of the really good birding spots are going to be north or west. There are some places near Miami but (while they too have good birds) they're a bit limited in my experience. I haven't birded the Miami area very much though.

    By Blogger Chris W, At January 4, 2008 at 10:31 AM  

  • almost forgot,
    I don't know if you know about the Great Florida Birding trail or not but it is an invaluable resource for anyone who visits or lives in FL.

    http://floridabirdingtrail.com/

    Happy Birding! --Chris

    By Blogger Chris W, At January 4, 2008 at 10:33 AM  

  • I agree with you -- FL is great state... if it weren't for all the development, it would be even better.

    I know of Myakka River, but I've never been to Paynes Prairie. Fortunately though, I already have a Wood Stork on my 2007 list, and I expect to see many of them this year. There are always plenty of wood storks in my area. :-)

    yep, I do know about the Great FL Birding Trail! That is such a great site -- I use it a lot, and I've been on many of the trails.

    Happy birding!

    Andrea

    By Blogger Earthbird, At January 4, 2008 at 4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home