Birder's Eye View

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Peregrine in Pencil



Behold. My latest bird sketch. Since I haven't seen any new birds lately, I decided to draw one. Not great, I know, but a good artistic challenge.

The wings were definitely the hardest. I was sketching from a picture in my field guide, and when I got about a quarter of the way down the win, I realized how infinitely long this was going to take.

Nonetheless, I got through it, and it looks somewhat like a Peregrine Falcon, to my amazement.

I saw a Peregrine when I was in Acadia National Park in Maine, and it really captured my attention. I think they're fascinating birds, and fantastic to watch. Unfortunately, due to the earthquake in Acadia last spring, the falcons' nests were destroyed, along with any eggs they had. So, no baby birds-of-prey this year, for Acadia.

I got to see a female when I was there, though. She was divebombing a vulture, and won (of course). It was very exciting and an amazing way to see a life bird like that.

Ready for some edification?

Peregrine Falcons can fly an average of 50 mph, and when diving they can reach up to 186 mph. Their wingspan is about 40 inches.

Although they were once an Endangered Species, due to pollution from DDT, their populations have grown enough in recent years for them to be removed from the list.

Well, that's all I have to say for now.


Happy birding!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home