Birder's Eye View

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Good Birding!

Today I was able to add 14 species to my year list, including one life bird! Here's today's list:
  • Limpkin (2)
  • Belted Kingfisher (3)
  • Red-bellied Woodpecker
  • Mockingbird
  • Osprey
  • Black Vulture
  • Little Blue Heron
  • White Ibis (lots and lots!)
  • Sandhill Crane (4)
  • Wood Stork (2 or 3)
  • Cattle Egret
  • Snowy Egret
  • Red-shouldered Hawk
  • Lesser Scaup

The last bird on the list -- the Lesser Scaup -- is a life bird for me. I didn't get a very good look at it, unfortunately, because we were driving by, but it was still really cool.

The Belted Kingfishers and Limpkins were also fun to see. Last year, I only saw one of each, so it was a fun surprise to see 3 Kingfishers and 2 Limpkins all in one day!

That brings my year list up to 30 species now.

Happy birding!

3 Comments:

  • Hey Andrea,

    Nice find with the Scaup. They're pretty neat.
    I don't even know how many life birds I've seen while driving by. I've seen quite a few though. most notable being a Limpkin near Lake Ocheechobee and a Lark Bunting this past summer out in WY.

    Your year list is up to 30? congrats. That's a lot. Exactly the same as mine in fact. I've somehow been able to scrape up 30 species. The 30th one being a lone Red-breasted Nuthatch this morning.

    Have you checked into the ABA camps yet?
    They're always a good way to get more lifers.

    Keep up the good work!
    Happy Birding! --Chris

    By Blogger Chris W, At January 5, 2008 at 9:25 PM  

  • That's very cool you saw a Limpkin near Okeechobee! I saw my first Limpkin last year while canoeing -- it's a surprisingly large bird, up close!

    Nice, our lists are tied! :-)

    Yes, I did look at the ABA camps, and they look amazing. They're really expensive, but they look like a lot of fun!

    Good luck on your listing, and happy birding!

    Andrea

    By Blogger Earthbird, At January 6, 2008 at 2:50 PM  

  • How great to get a lifer so early in the year! Congratulations and good birding to you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At January 7, 2008 at 11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home