Birder's Eye View

Friday, March 14, 2008

Birding & Sketches

"In every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks." -John Muir

My year list is now up to 69, with the addition of a Red-winged Blackbird, a European Starling, and Common Ground-Dove (life bird!).

I spotted the Ground-Dove earlier today. I was watching a bunch of Mourning Doves out the window, when a smaller dove with an orange beak caught my eye.

I wasn't sure if I had seen it right at first, so I kept watching. It disappeared for a few minutes, but when it came back, I ran outside to inspect it further. When I opened the door, it scared all the doves, and when the Ground-Dove flew, I saw the characteristic red wings. There ways no denying it. So... YAY! Another life bird! And an unexpected one, at that!

And finally, I have two new sketches, a Pileated Woodpecker and a Pied-Billed Grebe.











That's all for now... until next time,

Happy birding.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • Nice Bird! Even I don't have that one on my life list. That gets added to your 1-hour-from-home list too.

    I spent the day today over on the Lake Michigan shoreline near Green Bay. I added 20 species to my year list. My 1-hour-from-home list is still at 63 though. You'll have a bit of time to get a head start since I'll be in TX for a week come Tues.

    Happy Birding! --Chris

    By Blogger Chris W, At March 14, 2008 at 11:38 PM  

  • Thanks! It's understandable that you haven't seen a C. Ground-Dove yet -- from everything I've read, they're not extremely abundant, and they blend in well with Mourning Doves.

    Wow, 20 species at Lake Michigan! Very cool. You should get tons more in TX, too. Have fun!

    Happy birding,
    Andrea

    By Blogger Andrea, At March 15, 2008 at 4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home