Birder's Eye View

Saturday, September 20, 2008

More seabirds

"Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts." - Rachel Carson

It's way too late to be awake right now, but here I sit in my dorm room with a warm cup of mint green tea, blogging. My schedule is about to get extremely busy, so I thought I'd post a few pictures while I still can.

Last week, I went to the seabird nesting area of the beach with a few friends again. One of the first birds we saw up close was a Roseate Spoonbill, wading in the tidal pool.
It was sunset, and the birds were coming in to roost on the shore, all facing the direction of the strong seabreeze blowing in off the gulf. Royal Terns, Least Terns, Black Skimmers, and the occasional American Oystercatcher all huddled together on the white sand beach.

I was really happy with the above picture -- I've been trying to get a good shot of the Black Skimmers on the water, and I finally got a decent photo!

Another artsy shot -- a barge passing over the horizon, and in the foreground, while flocks of skimmers and terns sit on the shore.


I've never seen more beautiful sunsets than I have here at college. It was a gorgeous evening with spectacular scenery.

Another picture of the roosting birds, as the sun slipped low over the waves. I've been enjoying visiting the nesting area frequently these past few weeks, and seeing what kinds of birds are there each time, how many, and how they react to the different weather conditions.

I haven't seen any new species lately, but nonetheless, I have been able to observe some common species. I was also introduced to what is apparently a good birding area on campus for warbler migration season, so I hope to return there in the coming weeks.

*yawn* It's way too late and I am tired from a long day. Until next time,

Happy birding!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home