Birder's Eye View

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Birder on campus

"Hold fast to your dreams, for without them life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes


As August draws steadily closer, I am constantly reminded of two things: college and new birding opportunities.

Yeah, it sounds kind of silly and trivial now, but think about it: I'm going away on my own to study and learn more than I ever have before. I'll be in a new place, which, by default, gives me the opportunity to see new birds.

The college is right on the water, so I expect to see some great sea- and shorebirds, as well as migratory species in the Spring and Fall. So there's gotta be a catch, right?

Yep.

As it turns out, I'm most likely going to be the only birder on campus. This doesn't surprise me, but it is a bit disappointing. Talking with some of the other freshmen online, I have found that none of them are even remotely interested in birding.

But that won't stop me. Birding alone is certainly not new to me (quite the contrary -- I have gone birding with a group once before!), so I will definitely make the best of it.

With kayaks available to students on campus and nature trails scattered throughout the area, I will be birding whenever possible!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home