Birder's Eye View

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Oh so close!

What a summer so far. Getting ready for college, trying to earn money and waiting out daily afternoon lightning storms has left little time for birding.

I went birding at the archery range today for about an hour but came up with nothing new. It was a bad time of day to go; I hate early afternoon. I saw quite a few Red-bellied Woodpeckers and Cardinals, a Downy Woodpecker, and heard an Osprey, but beyond that, the short trip was uneventful.

I have come close to seeing a couple new species though. Oh, so close! In my backyard, I found Yellow-bellied Sapsucker holes on an elm tree. I have never actually seen a sapsucker, which would be lifer for me.

And yesterday evening, my mom reported she saw a hummingbird at the penta flowers in our garden. I've been checking the flowers periodically, hoping the bird will come back. I have yet to see a hummer this year, so my hopes are up! It would be great to see one in my own yard.

Wish I had something more exciting to report on, but alas, I do not.

Until next time,

Happy birding!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home