Birder's Eye View

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Light birding

"Birds have wings; they're free; they can fly where they want when they want. They have the kind of mobility many people envy." - Roger Tory Peterson

In a flurry of field trips, homework, meetings, programs and activities, my first week of college is coming to a close. I don't think I'll ever get used to being constantly tired like I have been all week, but I know I can get used to living on the coast studying the ecosystems and wildlife around me. This part of college has certainly been a blast thus far.

Today, a friend (a marine bio student), my roommate and I took kayaks out to explore the small bay bordering the campus. Thunderstorms threatened erupt overhead, so we avoided going too far out into the open water. Instead, we explored the mangroves near the marina, and enjoyed a relaxing hour-long paddle.

I didn't expect to see many birds, so I was surprised to find the area was populated with a plethora of species, including gulls, terns, herons, egrets and tons of anhingas. I was also interested to see that the mangroves in the waterway are covered in guano -- a good sign that birds probably roost there at night.

I only wish I had more time to go birding. Looks like weekends are the only free time I have, and even that is limited somewhat.

Ah, well. I'll just have to keep my eyes and ears open, and go kayaking every chance I get!

Happy birding!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home