Birder's Eye View

Sunday, September 28, 2008

16 miles by bike!

Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy
I wish I had a picture for this post, but alas, the events of today left no time for photography. Just over an hour ago, I returned from a 16-mile roundtrip bike ride to the beach and back. It was undoubtedly the most intense bike ride I have ever been on, and I can't wait to do it again, to go farther, ride longer, and work up my endurance.

Last weekend, I joined the college bike club, and today we met in the morning to ride to the beach -- seven miles there, plus another mile to visit the historic fort, and the same distance back. Doesn't sound that hard right?

Well believe you me, for someone who is accustomed to riding only a couple miles a day (and not even that, since college started), I had my work cut out for me. It was harrowing to ride on the busy causeway, and agonizing to power up narrow bridges crossing open water, but the experience was incredible.

Once we got onto the island, we were able to ride along bike paths and enjoy the scenery. Pink and white periwinkles, Beach Sunflowers and palm trees lined the roadway, flashing by as we traversed the path.

Despite our brisk pace, I was able to see some cool bird species. Here is my list for the trip:
  • Roseate Spoonbill
  • Loggerhead Shrike
  • Monk Parakeet
  • Reddish egret
  • Great blue heron
  • Great Egret
  • Snowy Egret
  • Mallard Duck
  • Rock pigeon
  • Mourning Dove
  • Common Ground Dove
  • Brown Pelican
  • Herring gull
  • Anhinga
  • Osprey
  • Ibis
  • Royal Tern
  • Fish crow
  • European Starling

On a somewhat related note, I will be volunteering with Project Feederwatch soon, so stay tuned for updates! Until next time,

Happy birding!

1 Comments:

  • 16 miles eh? That's pretty good. FL tends to be rather flat though. You ought to try doing 16 miles in WI. If you add up and down due to the hills, you tend to do closer to 20 MI while doing the same horizontal distance. ;)

    By Blogger Chris W, At October 2, 2008 at 11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home