Birder's Eye View

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Peacocks and life bird

Just a quick post here to share a couple of my Peacock pictures...

A flock of 5 peacocks paraded down the street a few days ago. Unfortunately, all my pictures came out blurry (had the wrong setting on my camera...), but you can see that they are, indeed, peacocks.


There is an adult male peacock in the neighborhood somewhere, with huge long tail feathurs, but he wasn't in the group that came across my yard. Hopefully I'll get a picture of him sometime soon.

Oh! Almost forgot! I saw a life bird on monday -- A Black-Hooded Parakeet! I was in the car and stopped at a stoplight, when the parakeet flew down to the curb and starting drinking from a puddle.

All these cars were turning right next to the puddle and I was sure the bird was going to get hit. He even started walking out into the middle of the road (no one ever said they were especially smart, I guess). Finally he flew up to a powerline just before the light turned.

So I guess that brings my year list up to 73!

Happy birding

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • Andrea, be careful adding this one to your life list.
    Black-hooded Parakeets (especially if there's just one) are more than likely escaped cage birds and are not recognized by the ABA as a valid life bird unless they are a true vagrant. So it depends on how strict you want you life list to be.

    If there's a colony of them in your area, then adding them may be okay. If not and it's just one bird, then I would not add it. True vagrants are very very rare.
    Their native range is South America especially in the Amazon basin.

    Just to let you know.

    --Chris

    By Blogger Chris W, At April 9, 2008 at 8:25 PM  

  • Thanks for the info, Chris. I'm not very strict about my life list, so I'll keep on there just with a note.

    It's possible this bird was an escapee, but I saw it at the intersection where I spotted the Monk Parakeets a few days ago. I'll keep my eye out next time I go by there and see if there is more than one Black-Hooded or if he was just hanging with the other parrots.

    Thanks again!
    Andrea

    By Blogger Andrea, At April 10, 2008 at 8:57 AM  

  • sure.

    Do Monk Parakeets have a breeding population in FL?
    I don't recall if they do or not.
    Anyway, both Monk and Green Parakeets are recognized on the ABA checklist and therefore countable.

    You may wish to save this link:
    http://www.americanbirding.org/checklist/abachecklist.pdf

    All the ABA countable birds are listed.

    --Chris

    By Blogger Chris W, At April 10, 2008 at 11:05 AM  

  • Yes, as far as I know, Monk Parakeets have a breeding population in FL. I see flocks of them in various places, usually a closer to the coast. They're definitely common around here.

    You may want to double-check that link you posted -- it comes up as a "Page Not Found."

    Happy birding!
    Andrea

    By Blogger Andrea, At April 10, 2008 at 6:50 PM  

  • OH! Nevermind to my last comment about the broken link... I found the checklist you were talking about. :-)

    By Blogger Andrea, At April 10, 2008 at 6:51 PM  

  • ok, I was just going to say to go from the ABA website main page but since you found it then that works. :-)

    By Blogger Chris W, At April 10, 2008 at 7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home