Birder's Eye View

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Mockingbird Nest

"I'm youth, I'm joy, I'm a little bird that has broken out of the egg." -J.M. Barrie

I can't believe the pictures came out blurry, but this is so cool.

About four weeks ago, I noticed a Mockingbird had built a nest in a Jasmine bush. Three weeks ago, my mom mentioned she saw eggs in the nest. Yesterday evening, the eggs were hatching!

The babies were so tiny, and quite frankly (and please excuse my irreverence here) UGLY! But in a cute sort of way. Of course. I just couldn't believe it. I've never seen newborn Mockingbirds before! This is SO cool!
So this morning when we checked the nest, the babies were covered in fluff. They're totally blurry in the above picture, but that grey stuff you see in the center of the nest are the babies.

I took a video of the babies last night when we first found them. Check it out:

Happy birding!!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home