Birder's Eye View

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Another life bird!

"Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you." - Frank Lloyd Wright

So I'm sitting here at my desk, trying to solve for the determinant of a 3x3 matrix in my Algebra II class. The window is open and a nice breeze is drifting through; some Tufted Titmice are calling in the distance.

Then suddenly, this loud, obnoxious grating noise makes me jump. It's really close by. I heard it a couple days ago while riding my bike, but didn't think anything of it. This is really loud, though, and almost tree frog-like.

I look out the window, scanning the bare branches of the elm tree. The only bird in sight is sitting with its back to me; it is about the size of a dove, and for a moment, I nearly dismiss it as one.

But something is different. It has brownish coloration, and its head is way bigger. I grab my binoculars and focus in on the bird. It turns slightly and I see that its head has a big crest, its belly is greyish-yellow, and its back is grey and brown.

It's calling again: reeep REEEP rrrip rrrrip. After barely 2 seconds, it takes off.

I have seen just enough though. Flipping to the section on "Tyrranidae" in my field guide, I start comparing pictures and descriptions. The only one that fits is the one I had in mind.

A Great Crested Flycatcher!

It hasn't returned to the tree, but I can still hear it calling in the distance. What a fantastic bird! Big (Relatively), loud, boastful, and certainly unexpected.

That is my year bird #74.

Happy Birding!

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • Very nice Andrea!

    They're always a fun bird to see. They arrive here in WI usually around the last week of April to the first week of May. It's always good to hear their call echo through the forest.

    btw, have fun with your Matrix algebra. Although, if I recall, finding the determinant was the only tricky part. lol

    By Blogger Chris W, At April 11, 2008 at 11:42 AM  

  • Very cool! I'm hoping it'll come back so I can get a picture of it.

    Ha. But yeah, you're right it's really not that bad. Just tedious. Especially when you'd rather be birding! :-)

    By Blogger Andrea, At April 11, 2008 at 3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home