Birder's Eye View

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Birds at school

I returned to college on Monday but before unpacking, took a short trip out to Ft. Desoto to add some shorebirds to my year list. I haven't had time to tally everything up yet, but I am estimating I have about 65-70 birds so far.

I was able to get really close to this Ring-billed Gull and get some good shots.

This picture kind of cut off the tip of this little Ruddy Turnstone's beak, but I thought it was a funny "action shot" anyhow.
Fastforwarding to Tuesday, my friends and I went fishing off a little dock on campus, and I, of course, did some birding. Saw some Monk Parakeets, Brown Pelicans fishing right next to us, and... A Common Loon (below)!!

I've always heard about people seeing loons in Florida, but I've never seen one myself. I thought it was a funny-looking cormorant at first, but I took pictures of it to make sure. And, lo and behold, it is, indeed, a common loon.
Well, I better get started on my homework.
Until next time,
Happy birding!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home