Birder's Eye View

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Year list reaches 50 species

On the chipping sparrow: "This common little sparrow is esteemed more for his social disposition than for his talent as a musician." -- F. Schuyler Mathews

"WHAT?! I'm eating here!!"
Today, with the return of the chipping sparrows and goldfinches, my year list reached 50 species -- An interesting phenomen in at least two ways. First, I can honestly say this is the fastest I have ever reached 50 species for my year lists. And second, it is a little disheartening because thinking realistically, this means I have seen about half the species I will probably see for the entire year.

As I do not expect to have the means to travel or go after any special birds this year, I expect I won't get much past 100. Nonetheless, I am still more than inclined to continue trying for as many species I can get. :-)

Photo quiz! ;-) How many sparrows do you see in the above picture?
Along with the sparrows and goldfinches, I also saw a great egret today across the street when I headed out on a bike ride, and two female hooded mergansers down the road.



"Who YOU lookin' at?!"

Chipping sparrows. So photogenic. Well, until next time...

Happy birding!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • Oh I think you'll pass 100 quite easily. The spring migrants haven't arrived yet and you could easily get 30+ in just warblers. Plus there's probably some shorebirds, Hawks, Falcons, more Sparrows, passerines ect that haven't passed your way yet.

    Get out a go birding with other birders as much as possible. It's the fastest way to learn new species.
    And besides, the more pairs of ears and eyes watching and listening, the better.

    Just a little more encouragement, I don't think I've ever taken a trip to FL without my trip list surpassing 100. In fact, I think the lowest I've gotten is 115 or so. Something like that anyway.
    There was one day at St Mark's in late April (I know, it's St Mark's) where I had 98 in one day.

    So you'll get there. Just figure out every way possible to go as many places as possible. You can do it! :D

    By Blogger Chris W, At January 6, 2009 at 2:56 PM  

  • Thanks for the encouragement, Chris. :-) I appreciate it. It is rather depressing to live in such a great state, knowing that I'm only seeing a fraction of the bird species that are out here! Regardless, I'll definitely take your advice!

    Thanks again!

    By Blogger Andrea, At January 7, 2009 at 2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home