Birder's Eye View

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Hog Island closing

"If only the island could be saved, it would do more for us than we could possibly do for it." -Millicent Todd Bingham

Yes, you read it right. Hog Island is closing. Apparently, one of the students who had attended the Coastal Maine Bird Studies camp 2 years in a row had sent out an email about it two weeks ago, and I didn't see it until last night. Needless to say, I was mortified.

Maine Audubon is having economic troubles and had to cut back on several programs, one of which was Hog Island.

Fortunately they are allowing people to comment on their website, so I encourage you to do so. If you have ever visited the island, you will know what an important place it is. I implore you to share with them your story, and ask them to reconsider their decision to shut it down.

Hog Island is the most incredible place I have been, and, while I am eternally grateful to have had the opportunity to experience it, I hope you will help out in ensuring others have that opportunity in the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home