Birder's Eye View

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Hats off to E7!

Okay. I'm impressed. My grandfather just sent me a 2007 National Geographic article about the longest recorded nonstop migration flight ever.

You may have heard about this when it happened last year, but it's news to me, so I thought I'd post it. This is a pretty freakin' amazing bird
(picture from National Geographic) in my opinion. E7 is her name, and boy has she got a story to tell.


The female Bar-tailed Godwit migrated from Alaska to New Zealand, a distance of 7,145 miles, in 9 days without stopping to eat, drink, or sleep. This is a record for the birding world.

You can read more at the link provided above.

In other news, I'm headed up to Georgia this weekend on a college road trip, so hopefully I'll have a chance to see a few fall migrants myself, if I'm not too busy working on the pecan farm. I'll take lots of pictures and be sure to post them when I get back.

Happy birding!

1 Comments:

  • Yes, I remember reading this one. That is one heck of a long flight!
    I think the record holder for the longest regular migration route though is the Arctic Tern. Although, might be something else. I recall having a debate on this subject once with some friends and I don't recall the verdict being Arctic Tern......

    By Blogger Chris W, At October 23, 2008 at 11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home