Birder's Eye View

Friday, November 21, 2008

e.o. wilson and birding

"When you have seen one ant, one bird, one tree, you have not seen them all." -E.O. Wilson


I thought the above quote seemed rather appropriate for this post. Why? Because I got to meet Edward O. Wilson!! Yes, the E.O. Wilson, the famous biologist, writer, ant expert, and creater of the Encyclopedia of Life.

He came to speak at my college last week, and afterward I had him sign my book It was an incredible experience, and although his lecture rambled on a bit, it was a true honor to meet him. I have always considered Mr. Wilson to be a hero in the scientific world, so meeting him in person was a real treat.

Besides that, I have continued to volunteer with Project Feederwatch weekly. This week was too cold for many birds, so on Wednesday I went for a hike around the pond behind our birding site.

I had never been back there that far, but I managed to find an overgrown trail, and followed it around to an area of vine-covered pine trees that were swarming with flocks of Yellow-rumped Warblers. Even a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher chattered bitterly at me from an overgrown arbor that stood awkwardly between some trees.

It was nice to take that time to myself and enjoy the solitude for a little while.

The weather has since warmed up, so I'm hoping to see more birds next week when I go out there. Hopefully we'll be getting more migrants in as the season progresses.

Until next time,

Happy birding!

P.S. Don't forget to vote in my poll on the righthand side of the page. Thanks!

1 Comments:

  • WOW! That's awesome!! I think that beats Pete Dunne and John Fitzpatrick. lol
    E.O. Wilson is definitely a prominent figure in science.
    Unfortunately not the Wilson that the Wilson Ornithological society is named after though. :D

    By Blogger Chris W, At November 23, 2008 at 4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home