Birder's Eye View

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Overdue post

“A traveler without observation is a bird without wings.”
- Moslih Eddin Saadi

Look ma! A random Mallard picture!

I am long overdue for another post, but unfortunately this also reveals the fact that I haven't been out birding in over a month (oh, the horrors!). Well, okay, technically I have -- everytime I step outside or look out my window, my eyes are peeled and I always see *something*. Usually just the regular species though. Great-crested Flycatchers, Mallard ducks, Mockingbirds, Northern Parula, Carolina Wrens, Tufted Titmice, Red-shouldered Hawk, Mourning Dove, an assortment of herons, ibis and egrets, and the occasional woodpecker.

Nonetheless, I am feeling a bit of cabin fever being stuck at home these past few weeks. The sky has been dark since Monday and we have been under a constant flow of rain, thunder, and lightning. I love rainstorms, but I'm kind of ready to get outside again.

The only comfort is that in just 27 days, I'll get to spend an entire 2 weeks outdoors halfway across the country.

Our travel arrangements are in place, but beyond that we still have some planning to do. We begin in Colorado, and from there we're driving up to South Dakota. I have a couple target birds, although I try not to get my heart too set on anything (for, as we know, failure is always an option! Especially with me).

Some of the birds I'm hoping to see in particular are the American Dipper, Gray Jay, Western Kingbird, and a few different species of woodpecker and sparrow. Most likely though, almost anything I see out there will be a lifer.

Even more than seeing these new birds though, I'm looking forward to the whole experience. I can't wait to see the mountains and hills and plants and animals endemic to the area. Bufallo and wild mustang are two "life mammals" I really want to see.

Ah well, 27 more days of dreaming. And then the journey begins.

Happy birding!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home