Birder's Eye View

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Recent sightings

Despite being completely swamped with work over the last few weeks, I've managed to add a few more birds to my year list.

On April 21st, I observed my first-of-the-year Ruby-throated Hummingbird at around 8am, flying outside the window of the cafeteria. It was the last place I'd expect to see one, but I wonderful surprise nonetheless.

Five days later, I saw 5 Canada Geese fly over (they must have been quite lost!). And on May 1st, I saw my first Black-throated Blue Warbler in almost 2 years. The last one I saw was in Maine in 2007, so it also marked the first Black-throated Blue I've seen in my state.

And finally, on Sunday, coming back from a short boat ride out into the bay and back, I saw a Magnificent Frigatebird wheeling overhead a few hundred yards offshore.

These birds bring my meager year list up to 89 -- not bad for someone who never gets to go birding!

Well, hopefully that won't be the case for long, come next week after finals.

Happy birding!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home