Birder's Eye View

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Destination: South Dakota

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mark Twain

Explore. Dream. Discover. I don't think there is any quote that better describes my life (and the way I'm feeling right now!) than the one above.

Without getting into the details of how this incredible opportunity came about, long story short, I'm going to South Dakota in August!

I completely did not expect this at all; I had already made plans for coming back to school early. And then 3 days ago South Dakota happened.

What else was I going to do? I really wanted to spend August back at school, but how could I possibly be here while the rest of my family is up chilling in Mt. Rushmore? It didn't take much to convince me to come along. When my mom sent me the rough draft of our itinerary and a link to a SD birding site, I was sold.

I haven't really traveled anywhere since birding camp in Maine two years ago, so I am more than ready to get on the road (or rather, in the air!) again.

I am so excited. there is nothing I love more than seeing new places, new people, (new birds!), exploring it all. I can't wait!

Until next time,

Happy birding!

1 Comments:

  • Awesome!! SD has some cool birds! Make sure you subscribe to the SD-birds listserve about a month beforehand so you know what's being seen and where.

    I'd visit Lake Oahe too. That Dam is crazy long and the lake is pretty cool. That's where the IVGU was last Feb.

    One of my friends is out there right now doing bird suveys. Lots of Godwits and Willets out there!

    I'll be in Arizona til Sept. Otherwise I'd join you. ;)

    By Blogger Chris W, At April 19, 2009 at 9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home