Birder's Eye View

Monday, December 20, 2010

Outside again

Fence Lizard
Well, I'm finally home on winter break from school for a couple weeks -- the longest I've been home in about 6 months! And of course we know what a break from school means: I get to play outside! :-)

On Friday my family and I took a little hike through Withlacoochee Forest, which was aglow with fall colors (well, as much fall colors as we get down here). The weather was a perfect 70 degrees, the air crystal clear. Red-shouldered Hawks called through the woods, while Pine and Palm Warblers flitted around in the treetops. 
The river was exceptionally low, which meant little islands around the cypress stands were exposed. My siblings and I hiked and climbed and clambered around the cypress knees to our hearts' content. I felt like a little kid again!


Hog wallows 
Unfortunately as we were hiking, we found much of the area was torn of up by wild hogs. It seems that in the last few years, the "wild" boar population (of course, as most know, they're actually feral and quite destructive) has skyrocketed in Florida, and the evidence is quite clear.

It has been great to get outside again these last couple days. The weather has been lovely -- a brisk 40-something degrees today and the feeders around the house are filled with Chipping Sparrows, Tufted Titmice, and Carolina Wrens.

Tomorrow my mother, sister, and I are going on a 2-day camping trip. I can't wait! 

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home