Birder's Eye View

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Home again

It's been over a month since my last post, but I am now back on US soil after nearly 4 months abroad. It's kind of strange to be back, but I must say it's a welcome change of pace from the chaotic city life.

Although I didn't really do any serious birding in the UK, I was surprised to find just now when I tallied up my list, that I actually saw nearly 40 species during the time I was there! It's a small number by most standards, but considering I wasn't even focused on birding, I'd say it's not too shabby. Here's the list, in no particular order, as I wrote it up mostly from memory:

1. Magpie
2. Rock Dove
3. Black-headed Gull
4. Wood Pigeon
5. Chaffinch
6. Great Tit
7. Coal Tit
8. Long-tailed Tit
9. Grey Wagtail
10. Mallard
11. Grey Heron
12. Red-crested Pochard
13. Mute Swan
14. Song Thrush
15. Tufted Duck
16. Blue Tit
17. Robin
18. Hooded Crow
19. Rook
20. Raven
21. Redshank
22. Brent
23. Guillemot
24. Great Black-backed Gull
25. Green Woodpecker
26. Canada Goose
27. Great-crested Grebe
28. Coot
29. Northern Shoveler
30. White-fronted Goose
31. European Starling
32. Eurasian Jay
33. Great-spotted Woodpecker
34. Common Moorhen
35. Cormorant
36. Wren
37. Carrion Crow
38. Buzzard
39. House Sparrow

There are probably a couple more I'm missing, but that's most of them.

Now that I'm back in the states, I definitely need to get back into the swing of birding again. It looks like my summer is getting a kick start this week though with the Bahama Mockingbird that showed up in Ft. Desoto! So I'll be heading down there this week to go find it, keeping my fingers crossed it hangs around for another few days.

More frequent updates to come! Until next time,

Happy birding!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home