Birder's Eye View

Monday, November 9, 2009

In Dreams Awake

Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.
- Henry David Thoreau

An osprey up in North Florda (picture by my mom)I think Thoreau was right. Perhaps our truest life is, indeed, when we are living our dreams, but the real trick is making those dreams come true.

Thus far I have found no magical formula for turning aspirations into reality, but, not for the first time, I am finding myself waking to an incredible adventure -- two, actually!

My first bit of news is that I got into my school's Field Ornithology class for winter term (which spans for the month of January). The class had filled up before I could register, but after a short letter to the professor about why I should be in the class, I was admitted on the basis that I "showed strong interest."

According to the class description, we'll be learning about bird identification, natural history, and threats to their persistence. We'll also be studying bird behavior, taking field trips, and doing research. I can't wait!

After winter term, something even bigger is happening. I will be spending 4 months studying abroad in London!

For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to travel the world -- and now it's actually happening. It's a little scary, I'll admit. I've never traveled on my own before, much less even been outside the US. But, you have to start somewhere.

New sights, new sounds, new environment, new experiences -- and new birds! I have no doubt this will be one of the craziest adventures of my life so far. I say, bring it on!

Until next time,

Happy birding!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home